Can you feel the special atmosphere in the air? Can you smell those familiar perfumes that bring memories? Can you see all those beautiful decorations? It is almost Christmas time! Yey! Christmas is almost here, and in Books from Fangorn, we are preparing for Christmas and we are inviting you to join the celebrations! For this, I have prepared some activities, which I’ll be organizing on Instagram, these will be from the first of December to the 24th, as they will work as an advent calendar. I have been preparing two main activities.
The first main activity is the open bookstagram challenges. This will be weekly, with an optional J. R. R. Tolkien themed possibility, but you can feature your favourite books that have nothing to do with Tolkien. The idea is to share your Christmas stories related to different elements, and share my love for literature. I am sharing more details in the Challenges section below.
The other activity of Christmas in Fangorn is a read-along of J. R. R. Tolkien’s Letters from Father Christmas. I have always wanted to host a read-along on this beloved book where we can see the Christmas letters the professor wrote to his children as if he were Santa Claus. I am extremely happy to announce the read along. This will be done in two ways. The first one, I am sharing a daily Advent Calendar that consists of daily reading of the letters to wait for Christmas. The second way on how this read-along will work is by joining an optional chat group to comment on the letters weekly. I am sharing more details on the section called Read-Along.
I hope you join the activities I have been preparing for this Christmas season, I have also some upcoming surprises which I am looking forward to releasing! Keep reading below to know more…
From December 1th to the 24, you are invited to join the weekly challenges. These challenges consist of sharing themed posts on Instagram. The themed posts are going to be announced today, on the Books from Fangorn account, and you can also find them below. These challenges are Christmas and literary-themed ones. You will have to share your favourite books along with your favourite Christmas elements and your merry memories. Let’s bring some fun and joy this year!
When joining the challenge, please use the hashtag #ChristmasinFangorn for I will be seeing your posts and sharing them in my stories to generate community, if you do not mind, as I did with Fangornmoot this year, which had a very warm and beautiful reception. You can optionally tag @booksfromfangorn
As Books from Fangorn owns its name to J. R. R. Tolkien, I suggest the possibility of Tolkien themed challenges, but as I love accounts on other genres, and I, I am a reader of other books as well, this is only optional. You can feature any type of book you love. These are the weekly challenges:
- Week I (1 – 6): Feature and tell us about your favourite Christmas decoration and the first (Tolkien optional) book you owned.
- Week II (7 -12): Share and describe your favorite Christmas sweet, cookies, candies, etc, and your favorite book cover. (Optional Tolkien).
- Week III (13 -19): Show us your Christmas tree and any (Tolkien) book that was gifted to you.
- Week IV (20 – 24): Share your favorite poem (by J. R. R. Tolkien optional ) and your favorite Christmas song.
In December, we are reading Letters from Father Christmas by J. R. R. Tolkien to prepare for the Christmas season. This reading will work like an Advent Calendar, which means that will start on the 1st of November and will finish on the 24th of December. It has two methods to participate in the read-along.
Follow the read-along daily by reading the suggested letters on the mentioned days. You can share your reading in posts and stories using the hashtag #ChristmasinFangorn and you can tag @booksfromfangorn. Find the daily reading dates to follow the read-along below.
𝑊𝑒𝑒𝑘𝑙𝑦 𝑅𝑒𝑎𝑑𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝐷𝑖𝑠𝑐𝑢𝑠𝑠𝑖𝑜𝑛
You can optionally join a group chat on Instagram that will be moderated and hosted by Books from Fangorn, to discuss and comment weekly on the beautiful book, Letters from Father Christmas by J. R. R. Tolkien. I will add you to this group only if you want or agree to join. If you would love to, please let me know.
𝐺𝑟𝑎𝑝𝘩𝑖𝑐𝑠 𝑡𝑜 𝐹𝑜𝑙𝑙𝑜𝑤 𝑪𝒉𝒓𝒊𝒔𝒕𝒎𝒂𝒔 𝒊𝒏 𝑭𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒐𝒓𝒏
Find the graphics and calendar to follow and join the read-along of Letters from Father Christmas. Do not worry if you cannot see the text properly, I am providing a written version as well. These graphics also include the weekly challenges that were mentioned above.
Christmas in Fangorn – Week I – Letters from Father Christmas Read-Along
- 1 of December: Letter from 1920
- 2 of December: Letter from 1923
- 3 of December: Letter from 1924
- 4 of December: Letter from 1925
- 5 of December: Letter from 1926
- 6 of December: Letter from 1927
Christmas in Fangorn – Week II – Letters from Father Christmas Read-Along
- 7 of December: Letter from 1928
- 8 of December: Letter from 1929
- 9 of December: Letter from 1930
- 10 of December: First letter shown in the book from 1932
- 11 of December: Second letter shown in the book from 1932
Christmas in Fangorn – Week III – Letters from Father Christmas Read-Along
- 13 of December: First letter featured from 1933
- 14 of December: Second letter featured from 1933
- 15 of December: Letter from 1934
- 16 of December: Letter from 1935
- 17 of December: Letter from 1936
- 18 of December: Letter from 1937
- 19 of December: Letter from 1938
Christmas in Fangorn – Week IV – Letters from Father Christmas Read-Along
- 20 of December: Letter from 1939
- 21 of December: Letter from 1940
- 22 of December: Letter from 1941
- 23 of December: Letter from 1942
- 24 of December: Letter from 1943
Hope you join Christmas in Fangorn and have fun with this activity! There are other things I have been prepared for December, which are part of the celebrations, but I am going to let them know as the month goes on. Watch this space and Instagram!